I worked as an executive recruiter and music talent scout my whole life. Dealing with career issues has always been part of my life. Sometimes people I talk with don't think about a "career", it can often just be a job.
Twice a month I offer a free phone conferencing meetup. It's informal and participants can identify themselves with any name they wish. As an experiment I'm hoping to attract people in their twenties. From recent sessions here are a few topics that came up.
If you'd like to try participating call 707 778-2100 or send mail to email@example.com
1. Is attending college really worth the time and expense? I don't think I'll end up in the "regular" workforce, I'm more oriented to non standard types of jobs anyway.
2. People tell me I really have talent but when I've interviewed I don't seem to impress interviewers. They seem to be hunting for talents that don't appeal to me.
3. I am searching for a career path that doesn't conveniently fit into the usual categories. I see people twenty years older than me who just don't appear to be all that satisfied with their choices. How can I figure out a path that will be good for me if I don't see those opportunities?
4. I can see that a career in the arts will be a tough way to go. Yet that's what attracts me. What can I do?
5. People keep saying you have to attend a "top school" to make a good living but my grades were rather average. And these big time schools are also terribly expensive, I don't have that kind of money.
6. If I decide to travel for a few years will that really set me back? I need to work, for sure, but I'm really worried about settling down, having a family and having no freedom.
7. I see postings about figuring out the best track for yourself but so often I don't see myself represented in these ideas. Where can I look for advice that will fit me?
8. My parents are really on me to settle down, finish school, get on with it. But what I want to get on with is my life, I'm not sure I really want to own a house, where I live that's almost out of reach.
9. People I admire (musicians or dancers) really don't seem to fit regular education. But I'm not sure I want to go flying off into the stratosphere, I'm not all that irregular or even all that talented. What do I do?
10. I'm very driven and motivated, much more than my friends. They think I'm a little wacky because I work hard. I'm more interested in people five or even ten years older than me. Does that make me strange?